2 (15 ounce) cans low sodium black beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
1/2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 Tablespoon)
1 cup shredded carrots
1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs or oat flour
2 large eggs
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons low sodium ketchup
Pinch salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread black beans on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for about 15 minutes until fairly dry.
2. Place olive oil in pan and sauté green pepper, onions, and garlic until onions and green pepper are soft (5-6 minutes). Place in a large bowl or a food processor and add the rest of the ingredients.
3. Stir all the ingredients together (or pulse together if using a food processor).
4. Add the black beans and mash with a fork leaving some larger chunks of beans (or pulse if using a food processor).
5. Form 8 patties and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake at 375°F for 12 minutes on each side.
Serve with salsa. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Nutrition: 1 Patty / Calories 176 / Total Fat 2.9 g / Saturated Fat 0.7 g / Cholesterol 47 mg / Sodium 328 mg / Carbohydrates 28.9 g / Fiber 8.9 g / Sugar 3.9 g / Added Sugar 1.5 g / Protein 9.6 g