1 pound penne (or rigatoni, ziti) chickpea pasta (like Banza brand)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
5 oz baby spinach
3 cups chopped broccoli
Handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
28 oz jar of red pasta sauce (lower sodium)
14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
15 oz fat free Ricotta cheese
2 Tbsp dried parsley
8 oz part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Cook pasta according to pasta directions except cook for 2 minutes less than what is recommended on the box. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water to prevent clumping. Set aside.
2. Add oil to a large skillet and cook onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add bell peppers, mushrooms, garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
3. Add the baby spinach to the skillet and cook and stir until just wilted (about 1 minute). Remove from heat and stir in basil leaves.
4. Steam broccoli either in microwave or on stovetop.
5. Place pasta in large casserole dish. Spoon vegetable mixture, broccoli, pasta sauce and crushed tomatoes over pasta and carefully mix together until pasta is coated.
6. Mix dried parsley into the ricotta cheese and tuck spoonfuls of ricotta cheese around the pasta. Top with mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes at 350°F.
Nutrition: 1/10 of recipe / Calories 244 / Total Fat 7.1 g / Saturated Fat 3.1 g / Cholesterol 16 mg / Sodium 700 mg / Carbohydrates 32.1 g / Fiber 5.8 g / Sugar 9.9 g / Added Sugar 1.0 g / Protein 17.3 g