1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 cups chopped kale
2 3/4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup medium grain bulgur wheat
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt free seasoning (like Mrs. Dash or Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute)
1. Add oil to Instant Pot and press Sauté. Add onion slices and cook about 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
2. Add garlic and cook and stir for about 1 minutes. Add kale and cook and stir for bout 1 minute or until wilted.
3. Stir in broth, bulgur, salt, pepper and salt free seasoning and mix well.
4. Put lid on Instant Pot and move pressure release valve to the Sealing Position. Press Pressure Cook or Manual and cook at high pressure for 8 minutes.
5. When cooking is done, use natural release for 5 minutes and then release remaining pressure.
** If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can still make this recipe using these directions:
1. Heat 1 3/4 cups of vegetable broth (instead of 2 3/4 cups) until boiling in a small pan. Add bulgur wheat and simmer covered for about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let it stand covered for 10 minutes. there should not be any liquid left.
2. Add oil to a large nonstick skillet and add sliced onions. Cook about 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
3. Add garlic and cook and stir for about 1 minutes. Add kale and cook and stir for bout 1 minute or until wilted.
4. Stir in cooked bulgur, salt, pepper and salt free seasoning and mix well.
Nutrition: 1/6 of recipe / Calories 121 / Total Fat 2.7 g / Saturated Fat 0.4 g / Cholesterol 0 mg / Sodium 476 mg / Carbohydrates 22.5 g / Fiber 3.7 g / Sugar 2.3 g / Added Sugar 0 g / Protein 3.6 g
Adapted from: Simple Instant Pot Recipes (2021), Publications International, Ltd.