3 cups dried small red beans
8 cups of water
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, chopped
8 cups fresh water
3/4 cup low sodium, low sugar ketchup
1 tsp salt
pinch of black pepper
2 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp parsley
2 Bay Leaves
1. Soak beans overnight in 8 cups water. Drain.
2. Place beans in Crock Pot with garlic, onion, and 8 cups of fresh water.
3. Cover and cook on high for 12-14 hours.
4. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 more hours.
5. Remove bay leaves before serving.
6. Serve over brown rice with some nonfat sour cream.
Notes: This would be a good recipe to make over the weekend. This would go well with the Crock Pot Salsa Chicken (see Recipe on Health Plus Website).
Nutrition: 1/10 of bean recipe with 1/2 cup of brown rice/ Calories 330 / Total Fat 1.3 g / Saturated Fat 0.3 g / Cholesterol 0 mg / Sodium 253 mg / Carbohydrates 66.5 g / Fiber 9.7 g / Sugar 4.3 g / Added Sugar 1.0 g / Protein 14.8 g