Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
2 ½ lbs. Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1 ¼ lbs. grape (cherry) tomatoes, halved lengthwise
8 whole cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed with the back of a knife
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
1 potato, diced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups lightly pack fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
Small piece of pecorino or parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet with the garlic cloves. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast for about 25 minutes, or until soft with charred tops.
- While tomatoes are roasting, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, peppers, and potato; cook while occasionally stirring, until the onion is transparent, and the potato begins to crisp on the outer edges (about 6-7 minutes). Stir the tomato paste through the potatoes and onion; pour in the broth; season with extra salt; cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer for about 15 minutes or until potato is just tender. Add the tomatoes, garlic and basil to the broth (save 2 tablespoons of basil for garnish); continue to simmer until the basil is just soft (2 minutes). Blend soup using immersion blender until smooth.
- Optional: Pour soup through a strainer or colander to remove any skins and thick tomato pieces for a smoother soup.
- Top with extra basil, and grated pecorino or parmesan cheese.
Serve with crusty, whole grain or fresh sourdough toast.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 19mg Sodium: 959mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 1.5g Sugar: 9g Protein: 8g