12 Slices of Bread
1 pound canned sliced peaches in juice, drained
1/3 cup oat bran
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (this type of flour will help ensure the bread is not rubbery)
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup wheat germ
1. Place peaches in blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Make sure have 1 3/4 cup peach puree.
2. Place oat bran, brown sugar and peach puree in a medium bowl and stir until well mixed. Set aside for at least 15 minutes so that the oat bran will soften.
3. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add peach mixture and vanilla and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened (overmixing will cause the bread to have a tougher texture). Fold in the raisins and wheat germ.
4. Coat an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 325°F for about 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
5. Remove loaf from oven and allow it to sit for 15 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and allow it to cool completely. Wrap the loaf in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store for at least 8 hours before slicing and serving. This will help develop the flavors and the bread will have a softer, moister crust. Refrigerator any leftovers within 24 hours.
Nutrition: 1 Slice of Bread / Calories 150 / Total Fat 0.9 g / Saturated Fat 0.2 g / Cholesterol 0 mg / Sodium 166 mg / Carbohydrates 34.1 g / Fiber 3.5 g / Sugar 15.0 g / Added Sugar 8.9 g / Protein 3.9 g
Adapted From: Secrets of Fat-Free Desserts (1998) by Sandra Woodruff, RD