1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup raisins
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
1. Combine 1 3/4 cup flour, 2 Tbsp sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
2. Melt butter and place in medium bowl. Add applesauce, buttermilk, egg, vanilla extract and raisins and stir until well combined.
3. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir with wooden spoon until mixture starts to form into a ball.
4. Preheat oven to 425° F. Sprinkle 3 Tbsp of flour on clean surface and place dough ball on floured surface. Knead dough for about 1.5-2 minutes.
5. Place dough on ungreased baking sheet. Pat the dough into an 8 inch circle. Sprinkle 1 tsp of sugar on top of dough circle. Using a pizza cutter, cut dough into 8 wedges. Separate the wedges so they are not touching each other.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool on wire cooling rack.
Can serve scones with jam or all fruit spreads.
Nutrition: 1 scone / Calories 192 / Total Fat 3.9 g / Saturated Fat 2.1 g / Cholesterol 29 mg / Sodium 390 mg / Carbohydrates 34.8 g / Fiber 1.6 g / Sugar 9.0 g / Added Sugar 3.7 g / Protein 4.6 g
Adapted From: American Heart Association Kids’ Cookbook (1993), edited by Mary Winston, EdD, RD