1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup nonfat milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9 inch pan with cooking spray and coat lightly with flour.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugars, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined.
3. In a medium bowl, mix applesauce, eggs, milk and vanilla.
4. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Carefully add in the boiling water and mix well.
5. Pour batter into pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until center is firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Notes: Make 12 chocolate muffins instead of a cake. Pout batter into a 12-cup muffin pan that has been coated with non-stick spray or use paper muffin cup liners. Bake for about 25 minutes.
Nutrition: 1/12 of recipe / Calories 208 / Total Fat 1.8 g / Saturated Fat 0.7 g / Cholesterol 28 mg / Sodium 430 mg / Carbohydrates 46.6 g / Fiber 3.1 g / Sugar 27.8 g / Added Sugar 25.5 g / Protein 5.1 g
Adapted from: Cooking Matters